Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Do you have any babies at your house?

I walked into my dear friend's house this morning. Their three year old had just woken up, actually, he had just gotten up after lounging around in bed for about an hour after waking. I sit down on the couch. He walks up to me and asks, "Aunt Mandy, Do you have any babies at your house?" "No" I replied, " but I do have dogs." " I want to pet them!" was his response. It was so innocent. He has recently welcomed his baby brother home, and there are tons of new babies all around in homes that he is associated with. Therefore, it was a natural thing for him to wonder about.

To say that my heart dropped is an understatement. Believe me, I in no way want you to read this and feel sorry for me. He actually brought me to my senses during that brief interaction. He asked if I had something that I LONG for, and when I told him that I didn't have that, but that I did have something else. He was completely content. Why don't I feel content answering his simple question? Why does a lump form in my throat that makes me want to scream out because I can't swallow, and if I try to swallow I will surely begin a tidalwave of tears....how selfish and silly I am!! God has been amazingly good to me. I can't even begin to list all of the ways He has brought me up, dressed me in His finest, and still my praises have dwindled to cries of what else, God? What else? Are you kidding me?!?!? Seriously, I have some nerve to stand in the middle of my life and cry what else. (or I am completely stupid!)

I am in a place right now where I am learning so very much about the Ancient of Days. However, it took the example of a three year old to bring me to my knees tonight in gratitude! Oh, how very thankful I am!

I am going to pet my dogs!

No comments: